9/29/2004

*sigh*

Job interview was a complete bust. I had specifically asked what I would be tested on, and they said pseudocode. Ok, fine...that was bad enough. But, I get in there and they wanted me to test on SQL too. Not NECESSARILY a big deal except I was completely unprepared and froze up in fear. It didn't help that they wanted me to do it in some program I had never seen/heard of before. In the first interview I had SPECIFICALLY stated I had worked predominantly in Access, and the work I had done in Oracle mostly consisted of doing queries, updates, deletes...you know..minor stuff. I had no idea how to open the table with a typed command (which was the very first step after OPENING the program). I don't think the pseudocode went too well either. The scenario was setting up a toll booth to collect coins. If the amount was 75 cents or more the red light turned green and the gate went up. I'm not sure if I was supposed to initialize the values to preset coin denominations. It wasn't shown in any of the samples, but after I left I felt like a fool for not even asking. The rest of it was fine. I set the coin counter to 0 and set the gate and light to booleans. But, it also occured to me a few minutes ago that I should have set it up with a time delay and a loop. Damnit...I'm worthless. I give up...I'm going to be an office peon. I screw up all of my tech interviews by being unprepared or over-eager.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What I understood about what you had to program was "blah blah blah tollbooth, blah blah blah red light/green light" so you are not worthless, you at least had an IDEA of what you were supposed to do!

-KTreva