7/29/2004

Freaking OUT!!

I have been freaking out all day waiting to hear back about the two jobs I interviewed for.  I am supposed to hear back about the one in Itasca by EOB today. Not particularly thinking I got that one, but they "like me" (their words not mine). The job in town that I interviewed for on Monday was supposed to let me know by the end of the week, but I called today to see if they would have a decision by Friday, and to ask if I was still in contention (yeah, I know faux pas). She stated that they wouldn't have a final decision until the end of next week.  Good lord...I am the queen of instant gratification and have been completely nerve-wracked with all of this waiting. Every time the phone rings I feel like one of Pavlov's salivating dogs - running to the nearest phone at top speed. I do not run, so this is major. Today I spent a crapload of time on the phone trying to maintain my singular network contact for IT. I suck at networking and wish they offered free classes at the library. I am not a people person and feel stupid calling people up and trying to bs with them "Ohh, so how are you doing? How are the kids? Will you hire me or tell me about someone who IS hiring???? PLEASE...OH GOD..PLEASE???" He's a really nice guy, but he seems to be up shit creek lately too. Everyone in this town as far as IT is concerned is up shit creek. Well, I made an appointment with the local CMS office to talk to a career councilor about possible state titles I could apply for.  The governor FINALLY approved the budget so they should be able to negotiate how the money is to be spent within departments and begin their hiring processes soon for sorely needed staff.  I'm hoping to get in on the ground floor, wait things out for 6 months and then apply for something I'm actually qualified for.  Weird thing is, the lowest position they said I qualified for was an Office Assistant type position that pays around $25k a year. The ones I ACTUALLY qualified for were more like $45-50k a year. I am REALLY REALLY hoping that I manage to do well with whatever testing I have to take, and that my resume gets me decent points so that I can at least be held for consideration once they begin bringing people on in earnest. I really need a fucking job. I am getting soooo bummed out about this whole unemployment thing. It makes me feel as if everything I have worked towards these past few years was a pointless endeavor and a COMPLETE and utter waste of time. Everyone spouts the "something will come up soon" thing, but I'm starting to wonder. Something better come up soon, cause I've been having dreams of deep-throating the rifle in the basement.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Things are tough right now for anyone looking for a job. I hear people bitching about the job they have where I work and think "you should be thankful you have one".

=Nessa

Anonymous said...

People have told me "Something will come around soon" every day for over a year.
And, uh, they were wrong.

It LOOKS like something has finally come through though *crosses fingers*.
Although it's not in my chosen career field, and it's the lowest paying job I've had in nearly a decade, it should still pay the rent. Which is good.

So although I can't say if "soon" is accurate, I suppose I should say at least something will come around sooner or later as long as you keep pounding at it.

If I remember right this attempt was around #43 for me.

BTW, since it looks like I won't be doing the nuke plant project now, I was planning on dropping them your name if that's OK (and if I actually get an opportunity to do so).

-S

Anathematized1 said...

It'd be ok, cept I likely won't be qualified. I seem to be qualified for jack shit - not even a helpdesk position.