7/12/2004

Job Interview

I had the most asinine job interview today. Drove 5 hours round trip and was there for about 30 minutes. I asked more goddamned questions than the interviewer, and when I asked the question "Based upon what I have mentioned during this interview and the information listed in my resume, what concerns might you have about my fitting into this position" she goes off onto "I am not sure this position would have enough of a challenge for you over the long-term." Ok...who CARES? It's basically a high-paying peon position where the company usually brings in 20something new graduates. Well, before I go off onto that rant, I should mention when I asked the question "what qualities did you most like about the employee who previously held this position" she told me that she wanted to approach it from a different perspective. This was when she informed me that she was going to state that which she LEAST liked about the previous employee, which was her immaturity and lack of experience in the corporate world. Can you say mixed signals? You want someone with work experience, life experience, common sense, and maturity; BUT you don't want someone who is motivated by challenges and likes having goals to strive for and the opportunity for advancement? So, I'm thinking I didn't get that job. Besides, I interrupted her at one point during her ramble session and found the interview to be approached in a haphazard way. I mean, the only two questions she asked me were "Tell me about yourself" which I did in 30 seconds, and "Do you have any questions?" She didn't even really write anything down. I swear to God, this must be some physical presentation thing on my part. They see the last name and think italian chick, and see the fat black midget walking in for the job interview and things go all to hell. I gave a damned good interview. The interviewer even mentioned a problem they were having due to their rapid expansion, and I offered a possible solution and I got "Oh, well...we have an IT department, that's their job". Ok, I can understand her not being particularly interested in what the interviewee has to say, but she had just been complaining about it and how it affected her and her support staff and would be quite problomatic in the future if they reached the 40% growth projected for this year. Judging from what the interviewer stated, and the general feeling I got I am either not going to get the job, or I am not going to take the job. I will still send the "thank you" letter tomorrow since it IS proper procedure. But, sheesh. I am just not built for corporate america anymore. This bitchfest brought to you by IMA...IRATE MIDGETS OF AMERICA UNITE!!!

No comments: