8/23/2004

My Abject Misery

Not quite along the lines of the Jerry Springer show (which I used to watch when I was down because it made me feel SOO much better about myself), but it'll do...right? Well, my life in a nutshell: The federal government may be coming after me for charges of fraud. I filed for my unemployment when we had a crowd of people over and I must have misheard the dates I was applying for - I had worked for one of the weeks. I was a bit surprised when it came to the final message "Thank you for filing for your unemployment, you worthless sack of shit" without them inquiring about the second week which I HAD worked. Well, since we had people over I sort of forgot about it until I got my unemployment check and realized I got paid for both weeks. So, I promptly called the local office and left a message "Hello, my name is *bleep*, my social security number is *bleep*, and I screwed up on my call-in for unemployment last week. I did work the week of the eighth. Please call me back at *bleep* and let me know if I need to send the check back in it's entirety or if I should send you a check for the overpayment." Well, I didn't get a call back, so I cashed the check - had bills to pay. In the mail today, surprise surprise: "We received information that you worked for the week of August 8th, you is goin' to jail beoootch!" This sucks, cause I was about to quit my job this week. Besides the myriad of other problems (them saying I was getting hired in within 30-45 days and changing it to 90 - I don't go salaried until they hire me on directly, no insurance besides medical, paying $340 a month for gas and tolls, and the crappy-assed pay - btw, figured I am making $10.15/hour net after gas, tolls and taxes are subtracted from the gross amount I am currently earning) I am just plain sick of the job. All I do is type up letters and create pathetic little challengeless databases. Tis a BORE....I wouldn't mind it so much if it were local, but driving 3 hours a day round-trip for the priveledge of being bored and spending almost an entire check on gas is not quite cool. Especially, since I basically turned down job interviews for two companies last week paying about $6-8k more per year than this job would. Anyway, I am going to call the unemployment office and find out if putting over 3,000 miles a month on my car and using a quarter of my net pay for transportation is reason enough to leave a job and still collect unemployment. Then I might start a business or two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »