10/07/2004

Prepping for Trail of History

I've decided to be a good girl and not wait until the last minute to get ready for trail - except for the pies. I am a complete idiot on two respects - as far as forgetting about some things I had which would have made Belvidere's rendezvous a bit nicer.
  • I have a food dehydrator and;
  • I have a box to store my little items in.
Ok, this might not sound particularly impressive to most other people. But, today I am drying apples, oranges, peaches, and bananas and this weekend I will begin the process of making veritable craploads of beef jerky. The last time I made jerky in this thing it was gone before it had even gotten significantly cooled off. Darn, I just remembered I was going to make raisins too. The last batch I made were so moist and sweet they made the stuff you buy at the store taste like cardboard in comparison. The box will definately be nice because I now won't have to carry around plastic bags from the car. I can just load all of the little things into the box and make one laborious trip instead of rendezvous over a year ago. I haven't even used it yet. I still hope I can find it. Despite my lack of funds I am definately looking forward to Trail. I am thinking of making some porcupine quill earrings to see if I can sell as a blanket trade. If any of them sold it might provide me with "real" food throughout the weekend and maybe cover part of my gas - all I can say is thank GOD for group meals and the fact I already have 3 cans of pumpkin in the house. The earrings take all of 5-10 minutes to make. And I figure $5 a set isn't that bad, except the part that goes into the ear is nickel not surgical steel. *sigh*

No comments: